This is a very important stage in civil litigation. Our litigation lawyers perform the following role at this pre-action stage:
At times, our litigation lawyers may engage in pre-litigation settlement negotiation with the opposite party to resolve the matter before a legal action is commenced. This is called amicable out-of-court settlement so as to avoid potentially high legal costs and long legal process.
- take instructions from litigants on facts of the legal matter
- evaluate the evidence: oral, written and real evidence
- carry searches, inquiries and investigation
- conduct legal research on law points
- finding out decided legal cases in support or going against the litigant's legal case
- determine the strength and weakness of the plaintiff’s case and if enough evidence exists to commence a legal action in court
- if it relates to defence of a legal action, our litigation lawyers will evaluate the defendant’s case: evidence exists to defend a potential or pre-existing legal proceedings. This process may include locating witnesses, taking witness statements, gathering documents, interviewing the client and investigating the facts leading to the dispute.